Typhoon "Labuyo" affects 1,230 people in South Luzon

At least 1,230 people were affected by Typhoon Labuyo, as it made its landfall in Aurora Province 3 a.m. Monday.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said that the number of affected residents is expected to rise as local authorities has yet to assess the effect of the typhoon to the hardest hit areas in the province.

The typhoon also caused power outage in Aurora, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, and Ifugao.

As of Monday afternoon, fourteen fishermen are still missing from Camarines Norte and six from Bolinao, Pangasinan. All nine fishermen previously reported missing in Catandaunes were rescued Monday afternoon.

The search and rescue operations for the other missing fishermen were ongoing.

The typhoon also stranded at least 8,927 passengers, 34 vessels, 669 rolling cargoes, and 10 motor boats.

In Baguio City, a man died in a landslide incident that was triggered by the strong rains.

Jomar Salipon, 23, was buried under the rubble at around 8:30 a.m. He was brought to Baguio General Hospital but died while being treated.

Meanwhile, Cebu Pacific canceled six flights from Manila to Tuguegarao City, Virac in Catanduanes and Cauayan in Isabela and back-scheduled throughout Monday.

PAL Express also did not push through with round-trip flights between Manila and Basco, Batanes and Manila and Tuguegarao, rounding up the total 10 flights that were canceled on Monday.

As of 10 a.m. Monday, weather bureau PAGASA said Labuyo was within the vicinity of Baguio, packing maximum winds of 140 kilometers per hour near the center and gusts of up to 170 kph.

PAGASA said Labuyo weakened after interacting with the rugged terrains of north Luzon.

The typhoon was moving west northwest at 19 kph. PAGASA, in its 9. a.m. Monday weather bulletin said that “Labuyo” is expected to exit land Monday afternoon and the Philippine Area of Responsibility by Tuesday morning.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD has apportioned P160.35 million of emergency resources including P76.90 million non-food items, P43.15 million food items, P27.45 million standby funds and P12.48 million-worth of family food packs.

DSWD said in a statement that it has equipped its Aurora Province regional office, where “Labuyo” struck early Monday morning, with P3 million standby funds for disaster augmentation.

As of Monday morning, 94 families with 416 persons in Aurora have already been accommodated by 16 evacuation centers. In total, 78 houses were damaged by the typhoon. Five of which were “totally damaged” while 73 are “partially destroyed.”

The Department of Health (DOH) announced a “Code White” alert, placing all emergency service personnel in an on-call status Monday morning.

In anticipation of any casualties amid the “Labuyo” onslaught, the Code White Alert ensures the availability of medicines and supplies and the evacuation assistance in the affected areas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

twelve + = sixteen